The Thrill of Driving Coastal Roads
With the weather slowly improving, and the restrictions of UK travel now lifted, there’s no excuse not to hop in your car and go exploring!
This is particularly great news for motor enthusiasts and holidaymakers alike, who simply can’t wait to get in their cars, or on their bikes and take a breath-taking trip – whether this is a staycation or to just enjoy the views as they roll on by.
Perhaps some of the nicest routes to drive are always near the coast, as they combine some of the best views the UK has to offer with the refreshing sea breeze that we all know and love so well.
Naturally, Cornwall comes to mind as the perfect location to explore, so we’ve put together a list of some of the best destinations, giving you an inside track on making the most of your great Cornish escape.
Peruse through Padstow
The setting for Trevose provides many stunning backdrops and landscapes, perfect for driving along the many coastal roads, either on your own or with family. If you’re looking for a sun-kissed route that consists of breathtakingly beautiful coastal roads, we recommend driving from Newquay to Padstow.
Along your trip, as Newquay fades into the distance, you’ll see gorgeous landmarks such as the infamous Seven Bays: Porthcothan, Treyarnon, Constantine, Booby’s, Mother Ivey’s, Harlyn and Trevone.
On your trip, why not park up and enjoy a picnic in one of these hotspots?
Perfect for motoring enthusiasts
If you’re someone who really loves to drive, not just hop in a car and switch from A to B, we’ve got you covered. Many coastal roads, including ones in Devon and Cornwall, feature challenging and exciting twists and turns, perfect for confident drivers to explore the capabilities of their car.
If you have a car that just loves to hug twisting and turning corners, you’ll certainly feel it come alive on these gorgeous roads and give you a real thrill. For the passengers in your car – the scenery speaks for itself, so they can just sit back, relax, and take it all in.
Below are some of the most popular coastal driving roads in the UK:
- Through the Valley of the Rocks, North Devon – this route contains steep ups and downs as you pass along the rocky northern edge of the Exmoor National Park.
- From St Ives to Land’s End, Cornwall – this route offers a grandstand view with a mystical air, combining granite boulders with the skirt of the sea.
- Robin Hood’s Bay to Flamborough Head, North and East Yorkshire – experience the sheer chalk cliffs as you drive along the seafront.
- Along the “Black of the Wight”, Isle of Wight – you’ll see many classic cars taking this route, characterised by sparkling seas and stunning views.
- Round the Assynt Peninsula, Scottish Highlands – for fans of exploring more remote areas, this route boasts dramatic landscapes and countless lochs.
- From Hunstanton to Cromer, Norfolk – this route is perfect if you’re looking for a slow, relaxing, and peaceful coastal drive with plenty of sightseeing opportunities.
With miles and miles of coastal roads just waiting to be explored, the question is, why not? It’s about time
If you’re interested in extending your trip to Cornwall beyond just exploring its intricate and scenic drives, why not check out the Farmfoods European Legends Links Championship, which is taking place from the 16th – 19th June 2022?
With tickets being announced soon, you can get to work planning your coastal road trip in no time!